Monday, March 8, 2010

Mental Health Day

"If you had an entirely free day, how would you spend it?"

A week ago, amidst fellow alums and several current co-workers who were taking turns peppering the Sport Administration masters program candidates with questions such as "What do you think about conference expansion?" and "What are the pros and cons of expanding the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament to 96 teams?", I took my turn and asked them this easy, no-brainer question.

I did this for two reasons... First, I wanted to give them a break from the tough ones. But, most importantly, I hoped to find out what makes them tick.

And you know what I discovered?

I AM OLD.

Seriously. Hear me out.

Pretty much every candidate said, in some form or another, that they would spend their entirely free day hanging out with their family and friends. That is a sure sign of youth, isn't it?

So, in comparison, what does it say about me that my answer to that question would be that I would choose to spend my entire day ALONE?

Now, don't take that the wrong way. I absolutely love my husband and adore my children. And there is no one with whom I want to spend my days on earth more than them. I'm a homebody, and my favorite nights and weekends are the ones when we are together and have no formal plans.

But, like every compliance officer (or, heck, probably everyone!), I need a mental health day every once in a while. And, today, I got one!

After getting the girls and Dale on their way to school and work, I spent my morning at the Kids Everywear semiannual consignment sale. Where pretty much Ivie's entire wardrobe has originated for the past 3 years. (Don't feel sorry for Macie. She gets Ivie AND Emerson Dever hand-me-downs!) I spent 2 hours at the sale. Wandering, perusing, picking, and choosing. By myself. Sharing only a few comments with fellow shoppers, all strangers, about how it seemed like the prices had gone up, and the quality down, this year.

After purchasing 17 items for $71 (average of $4.18 per item - not bad!), I headed to the "Toys" section of the sale, and proceeded to find 6 cute puzzles (Clifford, princesses, Tigger and Pooh) and some play canned food for the girls' kitchen for another $19. So I was pretty happy with the bargains.

Then I walked outside. Into the bright sunshine and wonderful 60 degree temperature that I've been waiting all winter to feel! It was wonderful to just stand and bask in the sun, with not a care in the world.

Then I headed to Taco Bell for lunch. Again, by myself. The only thing that could have made it better would have been having in my possession the 6th-in-the-series James Patterson Women's Murder Club novel to read while I ate (finished #5 on Sunday night and am waiting on my book supplier/coworker, Lance, to deliver the next round).

While I sat there, eating my 3-crunchy-taco-minus-the-lettuce combo meal, a song came over the sound system that I've never heard. Probably because it wasn't country. And as I mostly just enjoyed the out-of-character-for-me tune and only sort-of listened to the words (the ones I could understand, that is) I found it kind of amusing that, as I sat there on my self-proclaimed "mental health day", a portion of the chorus of the song went something like this (certainly not verbatim):

They tried to make me go to rehab, but I said, "No, no, no"
I ain't got the time and my daddy thinks I'm fine

MY version of rehab was far, far removed from the type referenced in this song. It was just a free day, spent alone. And it was absolutely wonderful. In fact, I'd be happy to go back again. Hopefully someday really soon.

But until then, it's back to work tomorrow...

4 comments:

Stacy W. said...

I can't believe you didn't go to arby's!

Chrissy said...

I want alone time, too. So I'm old? ;o)

Marcia said...

After all these years, I still can NOT believe how well Westminster did when pairing us. Really, I want to know how they did it...

My ideal mental health day? Several of them...in a row...at the beach. If I can only have one though..I am with you--alone!

I don't get out of consignment sales a cheap as you though...so you win on that one!

Yesterday (same day as you)...lunch was Taco Bell. My order? Three soft taco supremes, NO LETTUCE!

Reading your post looked like a mirror of myself...weird.

Yeah...how did they pair us?

Tammy said...

Sounds like a perfect day.