Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Path Home

Last night, Dale and I went to the U2 concert at Carter-Finley Stadium in Raleigh (despite Dale having sworn previously that he would never again enter that facility).

Colleen came over to stay with the girls. Ivie goes back and forth these days between not caring when we leave (sad!) and desperately not wanting us to walk out the door (even more sad!). Last night, it was the latter.

So as I held her before leaving, I tried to convince her of all the fun she would have with Colleen. They could go outside after dinner, I said, and blow bubbles, and write with chalk on the driveway. In an attempt to distract her, I asked Ivie if she would please draw me a purple picture with her chalk so that I could see it when I got home after she'd gone to bed. She said she would, and loosened up her hold on my neck enough that I could hand her off to cuddle with Colleen as we drove away.

The concert was wonderful, but had the worst traffic I'd ever witnessed, I think - it took us an hour and 45 minutes to drive 5 miles, park, and walk to the stadium! When we got home, Colleen said that they had gone for a short walk up the road. And that Ivie had taken her purple chalk along with her and, on the way home, had been adamant about drawing a purple dashed line so that "Mommy could find her way home".

It was too dark for me to check it out last night, but I had to smile at what I saw this morning when I went outside for my morning run.


It's hard to tell from the picture, but the chalk line goes all the way up to the intersection on the right. Thanks for showing us the way home, Iv.

2 comments:

Stacy W. said...

Thank goodness it didn't rain!

Trish said...

Now THAT is too cute! : )