Tuesday, October 20, 2009

NC State Fair, 2009 Style

Last night was State Fair night. This year, we took a posse, going with the Beales (our annual fair and Friday night pizza partners), the Devers (our neighbors that are pretty much an extension of our family), and the Cherrys (our Tuesday night Moe's/Chick-fil-a friends).

If we thought it was difficult last year keeping up with only 2 mobile kids (Laney and Ivie), we should have fast-forwarded a year to trying to stay together as a group with 8 adults and 6 kids! All-in-all, we were pretty successful, and fun (and food!) was had by all.

Some culinary highlights:

1. We let Ivie have popcorn for dinner. She also later chose to have a slice of pizza. With cotton candy for dessert. Thank goodness the fair only comes around once a year.

2. Dale got his annual turkey leg and candy apple.

3. Macie, who hadn't eaten much all day, pounded an entire hot dog, bun and all. She also seemed intrigued by the cotton candy that Laney put in her mouth.

4. And I finally went with a slice of pizza myself (boring, I know, but I couldn't decide!). But then I forced the entire clan to walk along with me to find the fried candy bar stand (I patiently wait 12 months for a Fried Snickers!). Noone complained, as I witnessed others walking away with Fried Oreos and Fried Reese's Peanut Butter Cups!

Ivie's at the perfect age for the kiddy rides. She was just under the required 42" for most of the rides. Which meant that if Dale wanted to go with her on one, we only had to pay for one rider. But if she wanted to ride by herself or with Laney, she was able to talk the fair workers into letting her go by herself (all she had to do was flash that smile - fair workers aren't really known for being sticklers for the rules!). So we had the best of both worlds!

Macie's only ride was the merry-go-round. She wasn't a huge fan, holding on VERY tightly the entire time. The pictures won't do it justice. The look on Ivie's face as she came down the slide was unforgettable. Click on the collage to make it bigger and get a better look - it's worth it! And another highlight was Ivie being able to milk a cow. I was impressed that she stepped right up and didn't give it another thought - I thought she'd be a little scared. She proved me way wrong.

Many thanks to Daddy for riding the "bigger" rides with Iv, including the fire truck and the swings. Even though he knew it would mean ending up in some pictures, he was willing to take the plunge so that I wouldn't have to get sick. Yes, I even get sick on kiddie rides. It's ridiculous, and it's gotten worse as I've gotten older. I even get sick to my stomach swinging on the swingset in our backyard! So rides are OUT. The merry-go-round with Mac was about the extent of what I could handle, and, even with that, I was glad when it was over...

So another successful night at the fair! And the best part is that I remembered to charge my camera batteries so that I would get more than 4 pictures. I'm definitely getting better at this mommy thing...


No comments: