Sunday, November 15, 2009

Mod Podge Thanksgiving Decoration

As I've said many times, I'm not very crafty. In fact, just looking at the "My Giant Busy Box" full of kid craft projects that Ivie got as a gift from one of our friends last Christmas makes my heart race.

I think it's because I'm a perfectionist. And when it comes to crafting, that's a hard characteristic with which to come to terms. Because nothing is ever going to be entirely flawless. And I'm the type that spots a blemish and then CAN'T TAKE MY EYES OFF OF IT.

So at least I know that this is a weakness. And because I continually strive to be a fun mommy, I'm branching out and trying to learn to get over myself. Even if it means letting Ivie glue stick a cow's ear in a clearly off-centered location on the paper-bag-turned-"moo cow puppet" from above-referenced "Busy Box".

Today, I finished up a project that has now become our lone Thanksgiving decoration for the house. I'm not sure why we've never decorated for this holiday. Maybe because we need a little break between Halloween and the craziness that is the 4 huge red and green tubs of Christmas decorations that stare us in the face the weekend after Thanksgiving? Either way, the house seemed bare of anything that could remind us (and help teach the girls) what Thanksgiving is all about.

I've never ventured into the world of Mod Podge. But I did today! And while it's not perfect (I wish I'd have placed the "U" a tad lower), I'm still pretty proud of it.

And before you look at this and wonder why I included the random-and-not-really-matching flower stickers in the upper corners, please understand that this is what happens when you take your 3 1/2 year old daughter with you to Michaels to shop for project materials. The only way you make it out of the store alive is if you promise that she can add a couple of grabbed-off-the-shelf-when-Mommy-wasn't-looking "beautiful" flower stickers to the finished project. At least I picked these two out of the bunch and not the ones in the set that had purple as a prominent color, right? But, looking on the bright side, for years to come, Ivie will remember that she got to help. And that's what is most important!

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I think it turned out great....Now you've inspired me to be crafty!!