Saturday, November 22, 2008

Getting Smarter...

The verdict is in. Ivie's got strep throat. Her fever wasn't gone when she woke up this morning, so Dale headed to the doctor with her at 11:00am (gotta love Saturday hours for urgent care appointments at the pediatrician). The good news is that Dr. Hall said her ears look really good (hopefully that bodes well for her ear appointment on Monday morning!) and that after a day or so of amoxicillin (which has been our absolute best friend throughout Ivie's lifetime), Ivie should be feeling back to normal. And she'll be able to go back to school on Monday. She'll be happy about this, as it will be a very short week of school. We'll be driving to Dale's parents' in Hickory on Tuesday afternoon to celebrate Thanksgiving with Grandma and "Dat" (Ivie's pronunciation of "Dad", which is what the Herman kids call Dale's dad).

Ivie's starting to use more complete sentences that actually make sense and show some thought and insight. She's "sounding smarter", as Dale says. Today, as she and I were coloring Dora pictures, she started back in on her usual trick of putting the crayons out of my reach. Only she could reach them, which meant that I had to ask her permission to get another crayon when I finished with the one I had. Typically, if she's feeling generous, she'll hand it to me. I don't mind this game, since it gives me a chance to practice her colors with her (she still gets orange and green mixed up...).

Anyway, today, each time I would ask her for a color, she would pluck it out of the bowl, look at me, and say, "You have to wait 'til I'M finished". And then start coloring on her page with it. Clearly, her coloring took precedent over mine! So I would sit patiently, though not for long, because she never really wanted the color I requested. She just wanted it to appear as though she did. She would just draw a couple lines on her paper with the crayon before handing it over to me. Definitely trying to make a point as to who rules the roost in the Herman house! We'll let her keep thinking she does. At least until the strep throat is gone...

No comments: