Friday, October 8, 2010

Our Journey to Five (#2)

Sunday, October 3rd

I've been feeling great lately! I'm definitely starting to develop a little pooch, which has certainly happened earlier and earlier in my second and now third pregnancies. But I'm not going to complain about this, since I remember wishing with Ivie that I would start to SHOW ALREADY. Don't have to wish for that any more. Thankfully, since I wear my pants low on my hips anyway, I haven't had to dip into the maternity clothes bin yet. Although I doubt it's far in my future, at least for the elastic band dealies that will allow me to wear my normal pants (unbuttoned) for another couple of weeks.

But don't get me wrong. I am fired up about a winter of wearing maternity pants. I know that sounds odd. But for those of you that have never tried these things on, let me just tell you. Elastic waistbands ROCK. Doesn't matter if you go out for a big lunch in the middle of the work day. They stretch right along with you! It's like wearing sweatpants to the office! I've had conversations with several never-been-prego female co-workers who, by the end of it, were ready to go out and buy a pair, just because. And the style of maternity clothes has definitely improved over the years. Even between my pregnancies with Ivie and Macie, as I was, with Mac, able to find some adorable khaki pants that I really can't even tell are maternity. So, yeah. It's going to be a comfy winter!

But back to feeling great. I hate to even say it "out loud", but I feel like my nausea has almost entirely dissipated! Dale said to me this morning, "You haven't been complaining about feeling bad lately", like he was surprised. (Does that mean I complain a lot generally?!?) My response was, "I know! That's cuz I've been feeling pretty good, actually!". I think that a lot of it has to do with not having time at work to let myself think about feeling bad. But I have done a decent job of eating nearly every hour, at least through the morning, which has proven to help me fight off the sickness. (And also helps in the development of the pooch, given that the baby is a whopping 1 1/2 inches long and weighs 1/4 of an ounce!)

So here's to feeling "over" the nausea at least for the moment, at only 10 weeks, as opposed to struggling with it throughout the entire first trimester with the girls. I hope it's gone for good!


Friday, October 8th

Guess this will be a nausea-heavy post, since the first thing I have to say is that it turns out I had a pretty good week and the nausea was pretty much non-existent. Until today, that is, when I actually had to step out of a small meeting, telling the men in the room with me that I was sorry, but I was going to have to take a break to run to the kitchen and get my 9a yogurt snack. They just laughed, commenting that at least I had a good excuse for needing food immediately!

Another random thought for today. I'm putting it in the "Journey to Five" series because I think that at least part of the reason I react the way I do is because of pregnancy hormones. Or at least that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it...

I can't listen to the song "The Breath You Take" by George Strait without crying. I think it's for a lot of reasons, but I'll name 3 here.

First, I'm pregnant and it's an amazingly sweet song about a dad and his son. Nuff said.

Second, I can't listen to it without thinking about MY parents, and how, no matter the situation, they've ALWAYS been there. And it hasn't been easy, I know, with four kids. But they make it work. At the drop of a hat. Without being asked. When they've had to make personal sacrifices. And drive long distances. And I don't think a complaint has ever even entered their minds, much less made it to their lips.

It's unbelievable, really. They are living proof that God gives parents enough love to spread around. They are my role models for parenting, and I can't imagine there being any better. (Now I'm crying again.)

Third, and this one goes without saying, probably, but as I listen to the lyrics, I pray that someday MY children will hear this song and think about me the same way I do my parents. For that I strive.

So... Did you prefer the nausea story or the sappy one?!?

No comments: