Tuesday, March 17, 2009

25 Random Things: Aunt Sarah

It's taking Dale, Nina, and Papa a while to finish their lists of 25 Random Things about themselves. While I wait, I thought I'd move on to my siblings. First up, my older sister, Sarah...


Sarah is a couple weeks away from the big 3-5. Not old enough to care about me putting her age on here, I hope! Besides, no matter how old she is, she will always be able to make fun of Dale for being older than both she and Tony...

A semi-interesting fact is that Sarah and my birthdays (Sarah, 3/31/74; Amy, 9/12/76) coincide almost exactly with Ivie and Macie's (Ivie, 4/13/06; Macie, 9/10/08), so the age between these sets of sisters differs only by 11 days. We'll see if they follow suit and Ivie ends up being the smart one and Macie ends up being the one that continually strives to be as amazing as her big sister...

Sarah and her husband, Tony, have three great kids, Sam (almost 10), Josie (almost 7), and Olivia (3 1/2). Until this past weekend, they lived in Dallas, TX, but they're now officially back in Missouri. On that note, let the record show that the Herman girls are the only grandkids that live more than 6.73 miles (per MapQuest) from Nina and Papa. Yes, I'm jealous...

Anyway, I digress. The reason for this post is to share with you (and someday the kids) a little bit about their Aunt Sarah.

So here's her list of 25 Random Things:

1. My nickname is Sadie.

2. I married my high school sweetheart. We started dating when I was 15 and he was 16. Tony’s mom never had to set a curfew for him because she knew my mom and dad would be strict enough for the both of us.

3. My curfew was 9:30.

4. My dad is a lawyer and a politician. I still have a desire to go to a County Courthouse on election night to see them bring in the ballots and tally them. They probably don’t even do that anymore!

5. Same goes for pancake suppers, church picnics and fair parades. Love 'em.

6. When I was 15, I drove a 4-wheeler through a barbed wire fence. 1st time EVER on one. I got 56 stitches, a broken wrist and a neck that looked like I had been attacked by Freddy Krueger. I was a really good teenager after that.

7. Except for the time I got into a fist fight in one of the park parking lots.

8. This is the 3rd time I’ve done my 25 random things. There is very little more frustrating to me than technological failures. It should make life easier, not harder!!

9. I am very introverted and have low self esteem. I worry way too much about what people think about me or the things I do. It’s a hard habit to break…

10. I don’t like to be “called out” or recognized. I would much rather just blend in with the crowd.

11. I love new socks.

12. I’ve never had braces.

13. I have a heart for serving people. Whether it’s a part of my job or something I do in my spare time, I love it.

14. My favorite cleaning supply is a toothbrush.

15. But I’d rather clean under piles than put away the piles.

16. I play the clarinet, piano and the organ. Someday I hope to learn to play the violin…..fast!

17. My favorite food is tuna salad. Specifically, tuna salad on toasted wheat bread, topped with a slice of cheese and put in the oven at 400 degrees for 12 minutes.

18. I very much dislike beans. They’re grainy…it’s a texture thing.

19. I walked in the 2007 Dallas/ Ft. Worth Breast Cancer 3 Day (60 miles in 3 days) with my mom. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

20. I’ve always wished I had bit the bullet and gone to school to become a doctor.

21. My most selfish desire is to go to Walt Disney World.

22. I miss hills, trees, the changing of seasons, and snow.

23. My heart breaks for the poor and disadvantaged. Affluence for the sake of affluence makes me sick to my stomach. Last May, I went to Sierra Leone, the poorest country in the world, to help build housing for women with polio (yes, it does still exist) and just to serve these lovely people. You just can’t walk away from something like that and not think how LUCKY you are.

24. I was a “rifle” in the color guard in high school. We rocked. Out of all the things in high school, I miss that the most.

25. I would love to be a runner, but my PT mind won’t let me relax and just run. I’m too busy worrying about my stride, my breathing, how my foot is hitting the ground, etc. Maybe I’ll just stick with walking.

2 comments:

Stacy W. said...

Interesting. I must say though, Amy this makes you a little less unique in my mind! Although Sarah didn't mention the S-C-H-A-E-P-E-R-K-O-E-T-T-E-R song. I still think you had to make that one up!

Marcia said...

Stacy, if she made up the song...then she made it up at least 15 years ago because she was already swearing by it as a freshman in college!

Amy--Sarah may get you for that age thing! :)