Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Macie's First Birthday Party

Sunday was Macie's party. We followed the same pattern as with Ivie's first birthday, keeping the party quaint with only family and the Devers (you count as "family", Nancy!) coming over for a low-key cookout. Exactly the opposite of Ivie's big day, though, was that Macie was well-rested, healthy, and very happy all day (Ivie had come down with a tummy bug the morning of her party, and it was all she could do to grin and bear it that day, flushed cheeks and all).

But back to Macie's party... Ivie was fully occupied and entertained all day by her cousins, Luke and Rod, so I was happy to be able to focus my attention (and my camera!) on Macie all day. But my 120 pictures paled in comparison to the 270 that Brooke took! So I'm going to include several of them here in an attempt to tell the story of Macie's party...

I could not WAIT to show off the adorable hat I'd found for Macie at Party City. She even humored me by leaving it on much of the day...


While the kids were all happily playing, I got a lesson on the "P" setting on my SLR camera from Brooke. She's still better with it than I am, so several of these pictures were taken by her...


Macie was all smiles, all day...


Then it was cake time. She was intrigued by the lit-up candle - I had to clutch her arms pretty tightly to keep her from going after it!


I think she was mostly amused by my face as I blew out the candle. Doesn't it look like she's laughing AT me (not WITH me)?


Macie took an interesting approach when it came time to eat. It was amusing watching her mind work. She touched the cake with her fingertips for a few seconds. But since it wasn't coming apart easily in her hands, she decided to just skip over the "third party fingers" step... She's got a good point - why get your hands dirty?!?


After cake, it was time for presents! Ivie proved to be the big winner, since Macie isn't old enough to care about opening the gifts and Ivie, then, got first dibs on playing with them once they were unwrapped. Here's the loot...


It was so sad to say goodbye to Nina and Papa (who flew back to Missouri that evening), as well as Grandma, Nancy, Doug, Luke, and Rod. Thank you all for making the trip for the party. We had a ONE-derful day with you!!!

1 comment:

Tammy said...

I absolutely love these pics.