Thursday, January 8, 2009

Identifying Trends

Three short stories from tonight about how Ivie is starting to pick up on trends...

1. Meal Combinations

I don't have a very good memory. But one thing I DO remember from my childhood is that one of our regular meals at home growing up was fish sticks and macaroni and cheese. In fact, on April 29, 1984 (I was 7), I distinctly remember having fish sticks and macaroni for dinner when a tornado came through Owensville, inflicting a lot of damage on our little town. I will always remember the date, as it was my best friend, Jill's, birthday. (Must admit that I didn't remember the year, but Google is amazing...)

Anyway, back to fish sticks and macaroni. Tonight, on our way home from school, I was thinking to myself that I was in the right mood for this meal. Trying to remember if I had enough fish sticks in the freezer for both of us, I said to Ivie, "Ivie, I was thinking we'd have fish sticks for dinner. What do you think about that?". Her response? With great excitement and anticipation, she said, "I want maganoni, too, Mommy!"

Apparently I've already got her trained to think about these 2 foods as a great dinner combination!

2. Showing Pride

Ivie has been really good lately at pooping in the potty. Not so good at potty yet, but I'd prefer her start with poopy anyway! Each time she's gone poopy, I've looked her deep in the eyes and said, "Ivie, I'm so PROUD of you for using the big girl potty!" She always gives me a big smile and says, "Thank you, Mommy!".

Tonight, as she was eating the aforementioned macaroni, she was excelling at holding her head over her bowl so it wouldn't spill on her lap (or the table, or the floor...). I complimented her, saying "Ivie, you're doing GREAT at holding your head over your plate!". She looked at me and said, "Mommy, I'm so proud of you!".

Not sure if she was hoping I would say it back to her, or if she's just not quite sure when to use the phrase. Either way, she definitely knows it's a good thing!

3. Bedtime Hugs

Each night before bed, as I'm nursing Macie, Ivie comes in and gives both of us a hug and kiss goodnight before heading into her room with Daddy to read books. We've been out of our routine the last 2 nights with Dale gone, though, so Ivie's been relegated to her room to watch Chicken Run on the portable DVD player while I put Macie to bed. Obviously, the goal is that she will watch the movie and stay out of Macie's room, as she hasn't quite learned how to come into Macie's room QUIETLY at bedtime...

Last night, she did great. Only came in one time, and it was because she wanted her water bottle. I told her where it was, and she obediently left and went to get it. Then headed back to her rocker and the movie.

Tonight, she came into the room about halfway through Macie's nursing session. I gave her the "quiet" sign, and she came in saying, "I want to give you hugs!". So she came around the side of my chair and gave me a big hug. Then walked around to the other side of the chair, where she could reach Macie, and planted a big kiss on the back of her head.

That's one routine I'm glad we've got going!

No comments: