Saturday, January 24, 2009

"Chicken Fried"

For those of you who either don't listen to country music or who flip the station when you hear a song you don't know, you might not be familiar with the Zac Brown Band. I'm a bit sketchy on the details, but apparently it's an Atlanta-based band that finally went mainstream, and one of their first songs (at least that I know of) is called "Chicken Fried."

So the first time I heard it was on Dale's iPod a few weeks ago. He is addicted to it, and one evening he played it over and over in the car as we were driving around. He promised I would like it... And as much as I hate to admit it, the song does have quite a catchy tune and cute lyrics:

And a little bit of chicken fried
Cold beer on a Friday night
A pair of jeans that fit just right
And the radio up

Well I've seen the sunrise
See the love in my woman's eyes
Feel the touch of a precious child
And know a mother's love

Fast forward to today, on our way home from Sam's Club (on a diapers, paper towels, and toilet paper run!). Mom and I witnessed another milestone for Ivie. The first time that I've heard her sing along to a song on the radio (other than a kid's song from her CD).

You guessed it. The song she chose was none other than "Chicken Fried". So my not-yet-3-year-old daughter was in the backseat singing about "cold beer on a Friday night". Wonderful! Thank goodness she has no idea what beer is.

So there you go, Daddy. I know you're thrilled to read this story on your phone while in a meeting in Phoenix. We're so excited for you to get home tomorrow. Maybe you, Ivie, and I can sing "Chicken Fried" together and dance in the kitchen. With Macie watching us from her bouncy seat wondering what kind of a family she's been born into.

We miss you, Daddy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that song, and can't imagine how adorable Ivie sounded singing along, appropriate lyrics or not! ;)

Trish

Marcia said...

Just wanted you to know that when I heard Chicken Fried on the radio this morning, I literally laughed out loud as I sang along...and thought about your story with Ivie and how Ivie sounds when she sings it.

I hereby make the motion for you to record Ivie singing Chicken Fried. Anybody second or third the motion?

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the video on Jenn's FB page of Cooper singing this song to Jenn's grandma that is 102 years old?? It's priceless...you need to check it out!!