Thursday, September 18, 2008

"My Friends" and the Quickest Outfit Change Ever

I've gotten a request for more stories about how Ivie is reacting to being a big sister. Ask, and you shall receive. You know who you are. :-)

Yesterday, I took Macie with me to pick Ivie up at school. When we arrived, we first went to the nursery so that Macie could meet her soon-to-be-favorite people (other than her parents and big sister!). I introduced Macie to Miss Marie and Miss Joan. Sadly, Miss Linda had already left for the day, so that introduction would have to wait...

After then stopping by to see Miss Brenda and Miss Keisha in the toddler room, we headed to Ivie's room. When Ivie saw me in the doorway, her eyes lit up. Not much better than that feeling, and I get it every day when I go to pick her up. It never gets old to see the pure excitement on her face when I arrive (which is why I much prefer pick-up to drop-off!).

But after I opened the door and she saw Macie, the smile got even bigger! She ran to the door and opened it wide, saying "I want show my friends, I want show my friends!". So we walked into the room and all the 2-year-olds came running to the door to see Ivie's baby sister. The look on Ivie's face was priceless. She was SOOOOO proud of her baby sister! She stood right next to Macie in her car seat and watched her "friends" look at her as only toddlers can look at babies. Miss Freda frantically tried to keep the kids from touching Macie, which is quite difficult when there are 10 of them and 1 of you! Ivie, knowing that she had permission to give Macie kisses whenever she wanted, took full advantage, walking around the car seat to get just the right angle for the forehead kiss. She then went back to protecting her baby sister from the hands that kept trying to touch her.

Suffice it to say that Ivie's taking to being a big sister very well. She even shared her Elmo toothbrushes with Macie this morning, which, to those of you that know Ivie, is no small feat. "Sharing" is not one of her favorite words, much less a practice that she enjoys or ever even takes part in! But she happily took the toothbrushes and put them in the bouncy seat with Macie this morning, securing them safely under Macie's arm and the blanket (so they wouldn't be in danger of falling off).

So that's my Ivie story for the day. I had another one I fully intended to write about, but "new mom" brain has kicked in and I've forgotten it. Hopefully it will come back to me for a future blog...

Just a quick note about Macie this morning. I believe she set a world record for the shortest amount of time that a human being can spend in an outfit. After her mid-morning feeding, I got her dressed (as she was still in her pj's). Though her outfit was too big (they all are right now, as she hasn't even grown into the 0-3 month clothes, and I'm definitely not going out to buy preemie stuff that will fit only for a week!), I decided to go with it and picked her up to walk out of the room. In hindsight, laying her head against my chest (prime burping position) wasn't the best idea, given that she had just finished a fairly large meal... 2 seconds after picking her up, the contents of her tummy were all down her outfit and my shirt. GREAT. So off to the bathroom we went for Bath #2. This time I used soap! She hated this bath worse than the first, if that's even possible. Probably because her belly still wasn't back to normal. I guess her eyes are already bigger than her tummy!

My parents left this morning, by the way. So Dale and I are officially "on our own" now with a helpless 8-day-old and a stubborn toddler. Going to be interesting, but Mom will be happy to hear/read that I've successfully started a load of laundry on my own, thanks to the aforementioned outfit mess! Speaking of, better go get it switched to the dryer...

1 comment:

Stacy W. said...

Now I am just going to be greedy and ask for a video clip. :)