Saturday, April 16, 2011

Ivie's 5th Birthday School Treats

Sometime in the past week, I realized that this would be the last time I would bring treats to daycare for Ivie's birthday. And I'm pretty sure that once she's in kindergarten, her "real" school is unlikely to allow parents to bring in anything homemade.

Our little girl is growing up. SAD, but so much fun at the same time.

Anyway, for her last birthday treat, I made what Keebler calls "Kooky Cupcakes". Cupcakes in ice cream cones, topped with frosting. Given Ivie's affinity for ice cream cones, I was pretty sure she would like them. And they were easy to make. Score.

First step, mix cake batter according to box's directions. Then spoon some mixture into each cone. I was worried that they were going to overflow in the oven, so I was cautious with the amount. The directions said, "fill half the cone". I think I put in a bit more than half, but it seemed okay to me. Of course we made strawberry, since Iv still loves PINK...


I shouldn't have worried about overflow. Rather, I should have put in a bit more! Here's what they looked like coming out of the oven...


While I would have liked them to be a bit taller, it probably worked out for the best this way, since I'm sure Ivie's teachers were not thrilled to see chocolate frosting walk through the door that morning. Especially since it was spring picture day! So I took it easy on the icing, and topped them off with red sprinkles (since that was the only color I had on-hand!).

And that was it! Kooky Cupcakes for Iv and her friends.


We took 24 of them to school for the 15 kids in her class. And since none of them were left at the end of the day, I guess they (and probably some of the teachers!) enjoyed them. Another successful birthday treat!

No comments: