Monday, December 15, 2008

In Exchange for a Co-Pay...

Headed to the doctor with Macie this morning. I thought, going in, that she just had a good ole fashioned cold, but wanted to check to be sure, since our Christmas travels begin soon. Came out of the visit with that official diagnosis, but also with the news that she has the start of an ear infection. So we've got antibiotics for her now, too...

But here's what ELSE I learned at the doctor's office this morning:

1) I do not have strep throat or the flu. Dr. Joe asked me if I'd taken my sick self to the doctor. I gave him the motherly look that says, "Moms don't have time to go to the doctor unless they're REALLY sick." So he said, "Well, let's just test you for strep to be sure." The test was negative. And he said the flu isn't "out" yet, so it's not that either. Just a yucky case of the cold, I guess...

2) Babies don't get strep throat. Who knew?!? The nurse said the youngest child they'd seen it with was 18 months old. Seems weird to me, but whatever! Good to know...

3) There's medicine for diarrhea! Not sure why I didn't think to at least ask the pharmacist at Target about this. While with Dr. Joe this morning, I mentioned to him Ivie's 5-day case of diarrhea that does not appear to be ending. He agreed that it was most likely associated with the antibiotic she's on, and then nonchalantly asked if we'd tried Florastor. I said, "What's that?", and he told me it's an over-the-counter medication for intestinal issues (he used bigger words, of course). There's now a box on the island in my kitchen just waiting for Ivie to get home... But I would suggest not using this every time you've got diarrhea issues - stuff's expensive! There are 10 packets in the box (it's a sprinkle that you mix with apple juice, applesauce, etc.), and it cost $11.50. Wow. Over a dollar a serving. But we'll save much more than that in the millions of Pull-Ups we've been going through...

4) Diaper rash that is caused by diarrhea, which is caused by antibiotics, is probably yeast. Dr. Joe also told me to try some of the Nystatin I have (from Macie's bout with thrush) on Ivie's diaper rash. I'd actually thought about giving that a shot this weekend, but I laughed it off, thinking that surely those two problems are unrelated and I might do Ivie's diaper rash more harm than good putting yeast infection medication on it!

5) Macie weighs over 14 pounds! She weighed in at 14 pounds, 3 ounces this morning.

I definitely think all that knowledge was worth the $15 co-pay! I can tell you that I don't always feel that way!

No comments: