Thursday, May 19, 2011

Ivie's Random Thoughts (#19): Birthstones

Several years ago, for Christmas, Dale got me a sapphire ring and matching earrings. Not only is sapphire my birthstone (September), but it's also blue, which is my favorite color, so it was a no-brainer! I'm too lazy to take a picture of it for this post, but visualize a sapphire stone with small diamonds on either side. I love it!

Fast-forward to a couple of months ago, prior to Bryce's birth. A co-worker stopped by my office, and we got to chatting about our kids. She showed me what she called her "Mother's Ring", which was pretty much identical to my sapphire ring! She explained that she had three children, one September child (the sapphire) and 2 April children (the diamonds).

It didn't take me long to realize that, if Bryce arrived by his due date, I would already have my Mother's Ring! And, not only that, but my stones would be in the correct order on the ring: Ivie (April), Macie (September), Bryce (April). Perfect!

So Bryce cooperated, and the ring has now officially been dubbed my Mother's Ring.

The other day, I was explaining this to my mom, and Ivie happened to be listening, as well. We got into a conversation about birthstones, and I explained to her that diamond was a GREAT birthstone to have (ha!), and that Macie and I had the same birthstone. I told her that it was sapphire, which didn't mean much to her, so I just told her it was blue and she was satisfied...

Ivie didn't mention it again until yesterday morning when Dale was taking the girls to school. I'm not sure what brought it up, but, while I was feeding Bryce, I got the following text from Dale:

"Ivie just said that your and Macie's birthstone is 'campfire'."

Close, Iv. Very close.

No comments: