Sunday, December 5, 2010

Names

I originally drafted this post in September of 2009. I'm not sure why I never actually posted it! But instead of continuing to have a "draft" in my blog list (its incompleteness was really getting to me), I'm going to just post it now, nearly 15 months later.

By the way, I'm sorry if you thought the name of this post might have something to do with the names we're discussing for our baby boy. Because that couldn't be further from reality. Trust me.


September 13, 2009 - Original Post

Ivie is in the "naming" phase. Anything she plays with has to have a name. And she's started to have lengthy conversations with these dolls/animals, as well...

What's blog-worthy about this, you ask?

Well, Ivie has a hard time making up names. She doesn't use typical names, like Lucy, Suzie, or Abby. Nope. I think the pressure gets to her, and she freezes and can't come up with anything that makes sense. The result? Names more along the lines of Ha Ha, or DoDo, or other mumbled syllables like these.

And the standby? The one that is always first to roll off her lips when pressed to come up something quick?

Shingy.

Interesting, huh?


You'll be glad to hear that, over this past year, Ivie has, indeed, begun to use socially-recognizable names for her dolls. Most of the time. In fact, I don't remember the last time I heard "Shingy" come out of her mouth. Which is exactly why I'm posting this now. Because I don't ever want to forget about the "Shingy" phase.

And I promise all of you that our son will not be named Shingy. Although it might be an interesting nickname in utero. I'll bring it up to Iv and see what she thinks...

No comments: